Sunday, March 04, 2007

More about Edison

I said it could get worse...After a few weeks of framing lessons and some 'real' framing, I was ready to start installing some drywall. So I had to order some. I called the local material dealer where I already had an account and asked him to deliver a truckload of drywall.

The next day was cold and snowy but the truck showed up on time...and so did a Laborer's Business Agent. He informed me that I would have to sign an agreement to hire laborers to unload the truck, and the truck, which had a boom lift, was too close to the building, It seemed that the driver was a Teamster and they weren't allowed to be within x number of feet of a construction site. Of course I became indignant and said that unloading drywall was carpenters work anyway...certainly not a laborers. (I was hoping to gain the support of the Carpenters Union) I was ignored and the truck drove away.

I thought it was strange that the Laborer's agent showed up on the same day I ordered the material. I'd never seen him before this. So I waited a few days and called for the material again. And the next day the truck arrived, followed by the Laborer's agent. Same story. I tried it a few more times and then got the connection. Duh! Material house+telephone=Laborer's Agent. And so I called my boss and asked him, what do you want me to do?

It was agreed that we would hire laborers and sure enough, once I did that, all troubles ceased as far as material orders went. The truck, which had a boom that could drop a load of material right in the building, parked a hundred feet away and the laborers would hand carry it, one sheet at a time to the building. All day long.

And I shouldn't forget the payroll problems...we were told that since we were an out of state contractor, we couldn't pay by check. We had to have pay envelopes and fill them with cash each week. A local bank provided that service. (How opportune!) And once a week I would drive into town and pick up the payroll and transport it back to the jobsite. It was scary. I would have about $20,000 in cash, so I would watch my rearview mirror carefully and always took a different route. Let me tell you; New Jersey was a real fun place!

No comments: