Saturday, May 05, 2007

What a memory!

Oops! I did it again. I got my memories out of order. The last post should go sometime after this one...

Just before I left Pacific States Plastering to partner with Roger, I was asked by my boss, Slim Martindale, to go and check out a possible job down at Marina Del Rey. There was a high rise condominium project coming out to bid and it was an odd one. The development company had gone bankrupt before the project could be completed and so each of the 18 floors was in different stages of completion. I had to walk each floor and estimate what it would take to complete them.

It was an eerie sight. Not a soul was in the building and there was no one to operate the man lift elevator on the outside. I had an idea as to how it worked so I got in, closed the doors, examined the controls, pushed the lever and made my way to the top floor. On the 18th floor, no framing work had been done, though all of the material was present. Stacks of drywall and bundles of studs for the walls. Also present were the tools and debris from the day that the project was shut down. A year or more had passed since the gates had been closed and the workers sent home. The floors without windows had become home to thousands of pigeons and the occasional sea gull. Creepy!

I made my way down, floor after floor, counting what would be necessary to complete the project. By the time I reached the 2nd and 3rd floors, I was looking at almost complete units, painted and with carpet and tile installed. Now all I had to do was to come up with a good estimate. I bid it really high as I was afraid that I might have missed something and I wasn’t sure how much of the existing material could be used. After all, it had been sitting in the damp air of the marina for over a year.

With my estimate in hand, my boss called the bankruptcy receivers with our bid. When he was connected, he was asked if he could hold for a minute or two? Sure. And then, an odd thing…he could hear the conversation on the other line; very faintly, but clear. And it was our competition, bidding the job. He heard their price. When he was reconnected, Slim asked if he could call them back in just a minute. Sure. We did a quick re-evaluation of our estimate and then called in with a number just about $5,000 lower than our competition. Surprise! We got the job. And at a price about $100,000 higher than we had estimated. Our competitor had been the original drywall contractor on that same job and was hoping to recoup all of their losses and that explained their very high bid.

Once we began the job we were contacted by almost every subcontractor that had been stiffed by the original developer. All wanted a chance to recover some of their losses. And one of those subcontractors was Regent Mfg. They were the acoustical and texture spray contractors and had done the first 7 floors of the project and wanted to complete the job.

I went over to their office which was nearby and met the owner, an interesting guy! And also present was Larry Adamy. He was renting some office space for his company, Marina Drywall, in Regent’s warehouse. Now I already knew Larry from a time when he worked as a taper for the same company I had begun with. So we had some common ties, including the fact that we both knew Rick Thompson…he had worked along with Larry. (We'll come back to these names later)

OK, back to Regent; as a manufacturer of spray rigs, he had no equal and his machines were the fastest around. At this time, spraying was a very lucrative business to be in and Regent had hired some fast nozzle men to cash in on the boom. A nozzle man, one hose puller and a man on the ground, mixing, could spray 84,000 square feet in just under 4 hours. Not bad

More later…

No comments: