Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Fall of 1959

My new career began in earnest with a one-way trip to San Diego aboard a new turbo prop powered airliner, courtesy of the US Navy. At the time I thought it was quite impressive for them to buy us tickets on an airline, when we could have driven the 100 miles or so.

Boot camp, all 12 weeks of it, is a story all of its own and I won’t go into it here. Suffice it to say that I learned a whole lot about the basics of my new career and my employer.  

Since I had joined the Naval Reserves, my education choices were limited. But that wasn’t a problem as I wanted to pursue one of those anyway. The Hospital Corps was my choice and after graduating from boot camp as a Seaman Apprentice, I was sent to the Hospital Corps School, located in faraway…San Diego! It was about a 15 minute drive from boot camp to my new location at the Naval Hospital in Balboa Park.

And once again I had a 12 week course of training, this time to become a Hospitalman Apprentice.

(It wasn’t till much later that I learned that the Hospital Corps was a perfect fit for my Myers-Briggs personality type of INFP)

No comments: