Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I Recall

A thought or two that I had yesterday while I was mowing the orchard. I was thinking about the fact that my career suited my personality. I have always enjoyed working alone and that was something I could do in the construction business. Early on, when I was an apprentice and working ‘piece work’ on houses and apartments, I always worked alone because that was how you made the most money. And you quickly learned that having someone nearby who might strike up a conversation would cost you money in the long run. And when you did have to work with someone, the best partner was one that knew what to do without being told.

I can remember many days of working on high rise buildings, installing the panels that made up the skin of those building, and never saying more than a dozen words. You controlled the crane with hand signals and the crew knew what they were doing without being told; if they didn’t… you didn’t want them around. It was far too dangerous.

Working as a foreman or superintendent meant that you didn’t spend a lot of time in conversation. You have very few friends when you’re the boss. And I remember making lots of people upset because I wouldn’t let them work with a partner. I knew that production would increase when people worked alone and I was always right. Part of my job was to make sure that conversations didn’t occur during the workday.

What a grouch!

No comments: