Friday, December 16, 2005

Later

After the barber shop debacle, I wish I could tell you that I got a great job that fit in with my school schedule and that I made lots of money, which I gave to charity because there was more money than I knew what to do with…but I can’t. Not that I didn’t try and find a job that would satisfy my parents. I was still getting an allowance, but it was becoming a real grind to have to ask for my allowance money and then to endure the ritual of being asked about my prospects of getting a “real job”. I didn’t know it at the time, but my parents were actually prepping me for the real world that awaited me, “out there”.

Finally, success came with the opening of a Chinese restaurant, Tai Song. This restaurant took over the location of the old chinchilla store on Sepulveda Blvd. and as luck would have it, I had two links to possible employment there. One was an owner, Larry Song. Larry had been the owner of the produce concession at our local market and I knew him from being a frequent shopper (with my mother) there. The second link was my friend, Dan Holloway. His father had invested in the restaurant (Venture capitalist?) and Dan already had a job there. Dishwasher; but he was moving up to busboy, leaving the dishwashing job vacant.

I applied for the job and got it, despite overwhelming competition from (0) candidates.

No comments: