Thursday, March 15, 2007

High Crimes and Misdemeanors

After a few more weeks of trying to increase production with my inexperienced crew, it became obvious that I would have to 'import' some labor from California if I wanted to make a profit on this job.

I approached the Carpenter's Business agent with that idea and was quickly turned down. "my men can do anything that you need done!" he replied.

After that encounter I was talking with the local material dealer and he informed me that I would have to bribe the business agent if I needed any favors; telling me exactly how it should be done. I would have to invite Eddie to lunch and I would have to arrive first, bringing a plain envelope with about $500 in it. This I would place on his side of the table. After he arrived, we would speak of nothing important, just chatting and then I would excuse myself...saying I had to return to the jobsite. The envelope would remain.

Well, that worked and when I approached Eddie once again, I was told that could bring 2 men from California...but they could not work directly with his men (no contamination!) and they had to work in the areas of the job where they wouldn't be seen; stock rooms and areas like that.

It was worth it and I sent for two drywall hangers. And when they arrived...what a difference! Drywall was going up on the walls as it should. Fast. Despite the ban on Eddie's men seeing this kind of work, they did see it and were suitably impressed, and they tried to emulate the boys from California. Just what Eddie was afraid of!

All in all, it was worth every penny of the $500.

No comments: