Sunday, February 16, 2020

It's been a while

It is now the second month of the most important years in history, In November, we as a nation would vote for a new President or keep the old one. Our democracy depends on our choice. Trump and his family, have been destroying the fabric of our society day by day. I really shouldn't turn this blog into a political one.

On the second front, the personal one, optimism has returned. No, the COPD did not go away, but I have a much better handle on it. Please excuse my previous statements about death and dying. I was very sick a few weeks ago. There was talk of my going to the hospital. But...Dr. Verma, my pulmonologist came through with a sulfa based antibiotic and steroids. I took the last steroid tablet this morning. The results were amazing. I can breathe!

Now, what about my career? What have I missed? In my mind I am dividing the state into squares and looking for a trace of a job I had done. State by state, I look for them.

I probably wrote about the splitting of single screen Mann Theaters into 3 and 4 screen theaters. I remember how nervous I was when I was up in the ceiling space above the theaters. I had to go up there and add some things we could use to secure the new walls. It was all lath and plaster, hanging from #8 wires and I had no idea as to how secure it was.

The majority of my construction work experience included stories of nervousness in high places. Sometimes fear. I learned early on that fear was the enemy. Being nervous would keep you safe. I remember that I was afraid when faced with that high wall at STL. I decided, after much mental argument, that I must go up the wall on that narrow plank, all the way to the top. First, I went up to the attic space,  via a construction elevator and then walking on a floor of loose planks over to a spot where we would attach the cables that would hold the Sky Climber. I helped to install those hangers. My hand on the wrench. Then back down and onto the Sky Climber. We were attached a great distance apart, so the Climber would push away from the wall very easily. As we climbed, it became harder and harder to push away from the wall. That I liked. My first day on the Climber I was afraid. I told Alex that I wanted to continue, so he let me do it. Each day was easier. Soon I was just nervous. I think I mentioned how my toes and feet ached every day because I was trying to hold on to that plank. I don't know if it's still there, but, I'm proud of that wall. I should mention that I thought about my Dad every day. I know that he used to build those tall power transmission towers that made their way across the desert from Boulder Dam to Los Angeles. That inspired me.

Another one was the ride on top of the elevator in Harrah's South Tower. I didn't have to do it. The Otis Elevator mechanic had simply asked if I would. They wanted to know if the drywall seal around the shaft was acceptable. I remember 3 of us standing there on the roof of the elevator and here was absolutely nothing to hold onto.in the center of the roof was the cable & pulley assembly that connect us to large electric motor, some 200+ feet above us. Do not touch the cable! was the warning. It was right there in front of me and the temptation was there...but that cable was moving. We traveled slowly at Inspection Speed. On both sides of us were active elevators and they were moving very fast. You couldn't hear them until they were passing you. You could see a trace of light from inside of them and if there were passengers, they had no idea that we were just 3' away.  It's obvious that we made it to the top. I thanked them for the ride and s e impressed that I had made it all the way.

No comments: